22nd January, 2016
Sky have been investing big in Leeds recently, and are set to move their digital technology teams into the city to join their existing technology presence. This will see Sky having around 500 colleagues in Leeds. Sky continue to invest in London, and their “OTT” teams are mainly based there which manage Sky Go, Now TV and the new Sky Q.
“Leeds is becoming the tech powerhouse of England”
– A quote from Sky, which made quite an impact. With all of the people speaking and the turn out of people you did get a sense of Leeds being a centre for digital and technology.
A list of the speakers.
Mark Girling – A web developer at Sky with programming experience in a number of technologies including .NET, JS and Ruby.
Things that I learnt
- Sky work using the Spotify model. Quite an interesting way of how their engineering culture works and how teams and management can work together in the most productive way.
- How Sky build there apps to be reusable with different components. Some of these concepts were quite familiar but it makes it even more important to maximise code reuse and conventions when working in a bigger team.
- Generally lots of interesting ideas of how reactive programs work and communicate with each other. Web technologies blend the idea of website, web app as well as mobile and desktop apps.
- A general feeling that theres lots of different new technologies out there – they’re not all perfect but its a case of getting stuck in and experimenting.